Eyeshadow Palette Recap: Urban Decay Tenant Inspired by Jean-Michaël Basquiat

Dream a little dream of me by Mama's and the Papa's

In the beauty world, it seems there are sections within the  "community" that are obsessed solely with one thing be it -  nail polish,  lip products, eyeshadows, perfumes etc. Yes, each faction may parlay into a different field but they always come home to their beloved. If you have been browsing my blog for a while, you will not be surprised that my mainstay has been lip products. I liked lip products so much that I no longer purchased new products for colours but for the formulas/experience. However, in recent years I have shifted my attention away from makeup to areas like Tarot ... Yet, every now and then I do turn my attention back to the beauty and creativity of makeup artistry. Especially since I have been trying to work and develop my archetypal energies.  Anyway ...

Now while I will always love lip products - lately I've mostly been intrigued by eyeshadow palettes, specifically *indie eyeshadows* which have gained my attention. Maybe it's because I no longer wince and blink when attempting to line my eyes that I have found a new appreciation for acquiring and being drawn into the world of beautiful eyeshadow. Granted, I have quite small eyes so one benefit I've discovered, is that it doesn't take much to enhance them but,  a negative is that I don't have much "space" so it's easy to overdo it and create looks that do not work well for me. Nevertheless, lately, I've been challenging myself to use items in my makeup collection and improve my skills. 

Hence, I decided to revisit the Urban Decays Tenant palette to create a simple and easy grungy eye look. 

Eyeshadow Palette: Urban Decay Tenant

Background info: This palette is old and in some makeup collections, it might have been decluttered aeons ago but, luckily this palette is with me and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. In fact, it looks quite new and it still works the same as I remember it did. Granted, I haven't used it much, but I hope that will change. Plus, the packaging ... Umm, even if I finished this palette, I would still keep it for the homage to a great artist and its unique vibes. Plus, old eyeshadows can still be used for painting so I would use old palettes for my art projects.  

Hojo Shimmer Eyeshadow ("Mash Potato" texture)

Anyway... for the eye look I created, I paired it with Hojo Shimmer eyeshadow to give this simple look some vivaciousness. Another oldie-but-goodie product that really helped to solidify my appreciation for C-beauty (Chinese beauty) formulas and their love for shimmer. Side note: Finally, it seems that matte neutral-based eyeshadows are not the go-to thing to rave about in the makeup world globally and I'm oh so very glad. 

The Process :

Using the purple (Neo) and the black (Les)

Step 1: Using a flat eyeshadow brush, I lined my eyes gently with "neo" - a muted matte purple. I put this shade on the top and bottom of my entire eyes. Concentrating the colour near my lash line. 

Step 2: Using the same brush I then applied "Les" - the smoky black shade, to the inner and outer corners of my eyes only. Again concenrating the colour near the last line and allowing some of the colour to line my waterline. I did not line my entire eyes but just the outer corners. Then I cleaned up the surrounding areas (where the black eyeshadow incorrectly went).

Step 3: Lightly wiping the same brush into a clean tissue to remove the colour of the black shade, I then applied "Neo"(the purple) gently to my eyelid to create a subtle wash of colour. Then I used my finger to take some of the Hojo shimmer eyeshadow (orange/pink shade) and applied it in one swipe to the centre area of my eyelid in one stripe. Gently adding a bit more in the centre to make a subtle highlight i.e. so it was not an obvious stripe of shimmer.

Step 4: Applied Essence Lash Princess False Lash Effect Mascara to my top and bottom eyelashes. 

Neo, Les, No.8005 and Essence Lash Princess Mascara

Done. Overall, I think this is a simple and effective eye makeup that allows me to slowly get back into playing around with eyeshadow palettes. Hopefully, you appreciated this pictorial and if you'd like to see more looks - do let me know.

Your comments are always welcomed and appreciated!

Take care and be blessed :)

Comments