- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
๐๐๐ฏ๐จ๐ท๐ท๐ ๐ฉ๐ฐ๐น๐ป๐ฏ๐ซ๐จ๐ ๐ท๐ฑ ๐ฏ๐จ๐น๐ฝ๐ฌ๐!๐๐
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
✨"๐พ๐๐๐ ๐ฐ ๐๐๐๐๐
๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ท.๐ฑ. ๐ฏ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ … ๐ฐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐, ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐ฐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ - ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐." – ๐ต๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ง๐๐๐, ๐น๐๐๐๐ข๐๐๐ฆ 1997✨
One of the most influential women in rock celebrates her birthday today.
PJ Harvey massively impressed Brian when he did his first steps in music and stayed one of his favourite artists forever.
๐ข๐๐ซ๐ข๐๐ง: "Music is about expressing things you can’t in everyday life. A lot of what has pushed me forward is desire and I have expressed that in my songwriting – perhaps because it’s safer! I’ve always found music that is carnal very attractive but not in the most obvious way. [...] A lot of Polly Harvey’s early work was tapped into a sense of yearning and desire which I understood.”
(๐๐๐ธ, ๐๐๐ก๐๐๐๐ 2009)
⭐️๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ is a British singer-songwriter and guitarist whose mythically pitched, fanatically intense recordings and concerts set new standards for women in rock.
Primarily known as a vocalist and guitarist, PJ Harvey is also proficient with a wide range of instruments. She possesses an expansive contralto vocal range.
✨Born on October 9th, 1969, in Bridport, Dorset, Harvey began her career in 1988 when she joined local band ๐จ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ซ๐๐๐๐๐๐ as a vocalist, guitarist and saxophonist. In 1991, she formed an eponymous trio called PJ Harvey that released two studio albums called ๐ซ๐๐ (1992) and ๐น๐๐ ๐๐ ๐ด๐ (1993). Since 1995, Harvey has released seven studio albums as solo artist and did a significant number of collaborations with various musicians such as ๐ต๐๐๐ ๐ช๐๐๐, ๐ป๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ (๐น๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ), ๐ฉ๐๐̈๐๐, ๐ฑ๐๐๐ ๐ฏ๐๐๐๐ (๐ธ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ถ๐ ๐ป๐๐ ๐บ๐๐๐๐ ๐จ๐๐), ๐ฑ๐๐๐ ๐ท๐๐๐๐๐ (former member of Automatic Dlamini).
๐ข"When I'm working on a new record, the most important thing is to not repeat myself ... that's always my aim: to try and cover new ground and really to challenge myself. Because I'm in this for learning."
(๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ก๐๐๐, ๐๐๐ก๐๐๐๐ 2004)
✨In both 2001 and 2011, PJ Harvey received ๐๐๐ซ๐๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฒ ๐๐ซ๐ข๐ณ๐ for ๐บ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐ช๐๐๐, ๐บ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐บ๐๐ (2000) and ๐ณ๐๐ ๐ฌ๐๐๐๐๐๐
๐บ๐๐๐๐ (2011), that made her the only artist to have been awarded the prize twice. She has also garnered eight ๐๐ซ๐ข๐ญ ๐๐ฐ๐๐ซ๐ nominations, seven ๐๐ซ๐๐ฆ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐๐ฐ๐๐ซ๐ nominations, three ๐๐จ๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ข๐ง๐ ๐๐ญ๐จ๐ง๐ accolades. In 2013, she was appointed a ๐ด๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐ถ๐๐
๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐ฉ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ฌ๐๐๐๐๐ for services to music and also received an ๐ฏ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ซ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐ด๐๐๐๐ at ๐ฎ๐๐๐
๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ผ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐ณ๐๐๐
๐๐ in 2014.
Not everyone’s cup of tea, Polly suggests she is often grossly misunderstood:
๐ข“People have a very specific idea of what I am – some kind of axe-wielding, man-eating Vampira – and I’m not that at all. I’m almost the complete opposite.” (๐ถ๐๐๐ โ, 2011)
✨Outside her better-known music career, Harvey is also an occasional artist and actress. In 1998, she appeared in Hal Hartley's film ๐๐ก๐ ๐๐จ๐จ๐ค ๐จ๐ ๐๐ข๐๐ as Magdalena—a modern-day character based on the Biblical Mary Magdalene—and had a cameo role as a Playboy Bunny in ๐ ๐๐ฎ๐ง๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ข๐ซ๐ฅ'๐ฌ ๐๐๐ฅ๐, a short film directed by Sarah Miles, in which she also performs "Nina in Ecstasy". Harvey also collaborated with Miles on another film, ๐๐ฆ๐๐๐ซ๐ฎ ๐ ๐๐ฅ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐๐๐๐, which includes Harvey performing a cover of "When Will I See You Again".
✨Harvey is also an accomplished ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ who has had several pieces exhibited at the Lamont Gallery and the Bridport Arts Centre.
✨In October 2015, Harvey published her first collection of poetry entitled ๐ป๐๐ ๐ฏ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐ป๐๐ ๐ฏ๐๐๐ . In April 2022, she presented a book-length narrative poem titled ๐ถ๐๐๐๐.
๐ฉ๐๐๐๐ often mentioned how PJ Harvey influenced his songwriting.
๐ข๐๐ซ๐ข๐๐ง: “After I moved to London, I heard PJ Harvey for the first time and the emotional intensity and depth of the album “Dry” also had a very, very big effect on me. I guess when I went into the idea of a band I kind of wanted to marry the kind of dissonant, atonal beauty of Sonic Youth's experimentalism with a kind of pained confessional and highly emotional quality that PJ Harvey's music has."
(๐๐๐ ๐ ๐๐ฃ๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ง๐๐๐, ๐ด๐๐๐๐ 1999)
๐ข๐๐ซ๐ข๐๐ง: "Steve [Hewitt, drums] introduced me to PJ Harvey when we were at university. Her songwriting instantly became a big influence on me. I was struck by how individual her voice was and then by how taut and nervous the instrumentation was. It was so expressive of internal torment, desire, lust and rejection. She’s always been very brave, she’s not afraid to make a record that sounds like someone bleeding on you."
(๐พ๐๐๐๐๐๐! ๐ฝ๐ข๐๐ 2006)
⭐️Brian mentioned ๐บ๐๐๐๐๐-๐ต๐-๐ฎ๐๐ from Harvey’s album ๐ซ๐๐ in some interviews, particularly, as one of the “๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐” (๐พ๐๐๐๐๐๐! 2006) and “๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐” (๐๐๐ธ, ๐๐๐ก๐๐๐๐ 2017).
๐๐ ๐๐๐ซ๐ฏ๐๐ฒ - ๐๐ก๐๐๐ฅ๐-๐๐-๐๐ข๐ , ๐๐๐๐๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ ๐๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐ฏ๐๐ฅ, ๐๐ฎ๐ ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐๐๐ญ๐ก, ๐๐๐๐
➡ https://bit.ly/3D3F1GE
⭐️In 2001, at the ๐น๐๐๐ ๐พ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ญ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ in Belgium, Brian dedicated ๐๐ข๐ญ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ ๐๐จ to PJ Harvey.
➡ https://bit.ly/3DgEVsh
⭐️Placebo had a chance to meet Polly Harvey in Australia when they both headlined ๐ฉ๐๐ ๐ซ๐๐ ๐ถ๐๐ ๐ญ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐. We can get to know some more details from Stefan’s tour diary.
๐ด๐๐๐ ๐๐ - ๐๐๐๐ ๐ฑ๐๐
๐ขMe, Steve and Bill feel like death warmed up and moan all the way to Sydney. We invite PJ Harvey and her band to come on a Sydney harbour cruise organised by Virgin. They accept and we spend a beautiful evening seeing the sunset behind the Opera house. Fruit bats fly above us and we can see people walk the arch of the Sydney bridge. If I thought the tower in Tokyo was bad, that walk would definitely bring on my heart attack. I can hardly string a sentence together and go to bed. Bri's over the moon as he got a chance to properly talk to Polly and feels there is a connection. Maybe time to ask about a duet? He goes for dinner with Mick Harvey and some of the PJ crew.
The hotel's in Coogee bay just by the beach and the temp is around 35 all week. Inevitable sunburns.
(๐๐ก๐๐๐๐’๐ ๐๐๐ข๐ ๐ท๐๐๐๐ฆ 2001)
⭐️Brian admitted he would like to collaborate with ๐ท๐ฑ ๐ฏ๐๐๐๐๐ but was too shy to ask her directly.
๐พ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐ท๐ฑ ๐ฏ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐? ๐ฐ๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐?
๐ข๐๐ซ๐ข๐๐ง: Well, no, she's one of my favorite singers so I think I would need to have the guts to ask her, you know? (Laughs)".
(๐๐๐๐๐ฆ ๐๐๐๐๐๐, ๐๐๐๐โ 2010)
So, this Brian’s dream hasn’t come true yet but… who knows๐
⭐️However, Placebo didn’t wait for this collaboration and covered PJ Harvey’s song ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐. It was used as B-side on their single ๐ป๐๐ ๐ต๐๐๐๐-๐ฌ๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐พ๐๐ released as Limited Edition picture disc (limited to 500 copies) and download in September 2009.
⭐️Brian included Placebo’s rendition of the song into the playlist he prepared for ๐ป๐๐ ๐น๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐, his takeover show on ๐ฟ๐ญ๐ด ๐น๐๐ ๐๐ in December 2009.
๐ข๐๐ซ๐ข๐๐ง: “…It is a Placebo cover. This is available as B-side on The Never-Ending Why, and we decided to go with one of my favourite artists of all time. This song in fact has only ever been released by this artist as a demo. The artist is PJ Harvey and the song from her 4-Track – Demos album, played by Placebo, is Hardly Wait, enjoy!”
(๐โ๐ ๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ฆ, ๐๐น๐, ๐ท๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ 13๐กโ, 2009)
๐๐ฅ๐๐๐๐๐จ - ๐๐๐ซ๐๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐๐๐ข๐ญ
➡ https://bit.ly/3oylebd
๐๐ ๐๐๐ซ๐ฏ๐๐ฒ - ๐๐๐ซ๐๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐๐๐ข๐ญ
➡ https://bit.ly/3RD7pU6
Post by Olga
One of the most influential women in rock celebrates her birthday today.
![]() |
| Photo credits unknown / edit by Olga |
๐ข๐๐ซ๐ข๐๐ง: "Music is about expressing things you can’t in everyday life. A lot of what has pushed me forward is desire and I have expressed that in my songwriting – perhaps because it’s safer! I’ve always found music that is carnal very attractive but not in the most obvious way. [...] A lot of Polly Harvey’s early work was tapped into a sense of yearning and desire which I understood.”
(๐๐๐ธ, ๐๐๐ก๐๐๐๐ 2009)
⭐️๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ is a British singer-songwriter and guitarist whose mythically pitched, fanatically intense recordings and concerts set new standards for women in rock.
Primarily known as a vocalist and guitarist, PJ Harvey is also proficient with a wide range of instruments. She possesses an expansive contralto vocal range.
✨Born on October 9th, 1969, in Bridport, Dorset, Harvey began her career in 1988 when she joined local band ๐จ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ซ๐๐๐๐๐๐ as a vocalist, guitarist and saxophonist. In 1991, she formed an eponymous trio called PJ Harvey that released two studio albums called ๐ซ๐๐ (1992) and ๐น๐๐ ๐๐ ๐ด๐ (1993). Since 1995, Harvey has released seven studio albums as solo artist and did a significant number of collaborations with various musicians such as ๐ต๐๐๐ ๐ช๐๐๐, ๐ป๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ (๐น๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ), ๐ฉ๐๐̈๐๐, ๐ฑ๐๐๐ ๐ฏ๐๐๐๐ (๐ธ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ถ๐ ๐ป๐๐ ๐บ๐๐๐๐ ๐จ๐๐), ๐ฑ๐๐๐ ๐ท๐๐๐๐๐ (former member of Automatic Dlamini).
๐ข"When I'm working on a new record, the most important thing is to not repeat myself ... that's always my aim: to try and cover new ground and really to challenge myself. Because I'm in this for learning."
(๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ก๐๐๐, ๐๐๐ก๐๐๐๐ 2004)
![]() |
| Photo credit: Maria Mochnacz |
Not everyone’s cup of tea, Polly suggests she is often grossly misunderstood:
๐ข“People have a very specific idea of what I am – some kind of axe-wielding, man-eating Vampira – and I’m not that at all. I’m almost the complete opposite.” (๐ถ๐๐๐ โ, 2011)
✨Outside her better-known music career, Harvey is also an occasional artist and actress. In 1998, she appeared in Hal Hartley's film ๐๐ก๐ ๐๐จ๐จ๐ค ๐จ๐ ๐๐ข๐๐ as Magdalena—a modern-day character based on the Biblical Mary Magdalene—and had a cameo role as a Playboy Bunny in ๐ ๐๐ฎ๐ง๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ข๐ซ๐ฅ'๐ฌ ๐๐๐ฅ๐, a short film directed by Sarah Miles, in which she also performs "Nina in Ecstasy". Harvey also collaborated with Miles on another film, ๐๐ฆ๐๐๐ซ๐ฎ ๐ ๐๐ฅ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐๐๐๐, which includes Harvey performing a cover of "When Will I See You Again".
✨Harvey is also an accomplished ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ who has had several pieces exhibited at the Lamont Gallery and the Bridport Arts Centre.
✨In October 2015, Harvey published her first collection of poetry entitled ๐ป๐๐ ๐ฏ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐ป๐๐ ๐ฏ๐๐๐ . In April 2022, she presented a book-length narrative poem titled ๐ถ๐๐๐๐.
![]() |
| Photo credit unknown |
๐ข๐๐ซ๐ข๐๐ง: “After I moved to London, I heard PJ Harvey for the first time and the emotional intensity and depth of the album “Dry” also had a very, very big effect on me. I guess when I went into the idea of a band I kind of wanted to marry the kind of dissonant, atonal beauty of Sonic Youth's experimentalism with a kind of pained confessional and highly emotional quality that PJ Harvey's music has."
(๐๐๐ ๐ ๐๐ฃ๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ง๐๐๐, ๐ด๐๐๐๐ 1999)
๐ข๐๐ซ๐ข๐๐ง: "Steve [Hewitt, drums] introduced me to PJ Harvey when we were at university. Her songwriting instantly became a big influence on me. I was struck by how individual her voice was and then by how taut and nervous the instrumentation was. It was so expressive of internal torment, desire, lust and rejection. She’s always been very brave, she’s not afraid to make a record that sounds like someone bleeding on you."
(๐พ๐๐๐๐๐๐! ๐ฝ๐ข๐๐ 2006)
⭐️Brian mentioned ๐บ๐๐๐๐๐-๐ต๐-๐ฎ๐๐ from Harvey’s album ๐ซ๐๐ in some interviews, particularly, as one of the “๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐” (๐พ๐๐๐๐๐๐! 2006) and “๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐” (๐๐๐ธ, ๐๐๐ก๐๐๐๐ 2017).
![]() |
| Photo credit: Universal Music |
๐๐ ๐๐๐ซ๐ฏ๐๐ฒ - ๐๐ก๐๐๐ฅ๐-๐๐-๐๐ข๐ , ๐๐๐๐๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ ๐๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐ฏ๐๐ฅ, ๐๐ฎ๐ ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐๐๐ญ๐ก, ๐๐๐๐
➡ https://bit.ly/3D3F1GE
⭐️In 2001, at the ๐น๐๐๐ ๐พ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐ญ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ in Belgium, Brian dedicated ๐๐ข๐ญ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ ๐๐จ to PJ Harvey.
➡ https://bit.ly/3DgEVsh
๐ด๐๐๐ ๐๐ - ๐๐๐๐ ๐ฑ๐๐
๐ขMe, Steve and Bill feel like death warmed up and moan all the way to Sydney. We invite PJ Harvey and her band to come on a Sydney harbour cruise organised by Virgin. They accept and we spend a beautiful evening seeing the sunset behind the Opera house. Fruit bats fly above us and we can see people walk the arch of the Sydney bridge. If I thought the tower in Tokyo was bad, that walk would definitely bring on my heart attack. I can hardly string a sentence together and go to bed. Bri's over the moon as he got a chance to properly talk to Polly and feels there is a connection. Maybe time to ask about a duet? He goes for dinner with Mick Harvey and some of the PJ crew.
The hotel's in Coogee bay just by the beach and the temp is around 35 all week. Inevitable sunburns.
(๐๐ก๐๐๐๐’๐ ๐๐๐ข๐ ๐ท๐๐๐๐ฆ 2001)
⭐️Brian admitted he would like to collaborate with ๐ท๐ฑ ๐ฏ๐๐๐๐๐ but was too shy to ask her directly.
๐พ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐ท๐ฑ ๐ฏ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐? ๐ฐ๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐?
๐ข๐๐ซ๐ข๐๐ง: Well, no, she's one of my favorite singers so I think I would need to have the guts to ask her, you know? (Laughs)".
(๐๐๐๐๐ฆ ๐๐๐๐๐๐, ๐๐๐๐โ 2010)
So, this Brian’s dream hasn’t come true yet but… who knows๐
⭐️However, Placebo didn’t wait for this collaboration and covered PJ Harvey’s song ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐. It was used as B-side on their single ๐ป๐๐ ๐ต๐๐๐๐-๐ฌ๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐พ๐๐ released as Limited Edition picture disc (limited to 500 copies) and download in September 2009.
⭐️Brian included Placebo’s rendition of the song into the playlist he prepared for ๐ป๐๐ ๐น๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐, his takeover show on ๐ฟ๐ญ๐ด ๐น๐๐ ๐๐ in December 2009.
๐ข๐๐ซ๐ข๐๐ง: “…It is a Placebo cover. This is available as B-side on The Never-Ending Why, and we decided to go with one of my favourite artists of all time. This song in fact has only ever been released by this artist as a demo. The artist is PJ Harvey and the song from her 4-Track – Demos album, played by Placebo, is Hardly Wait, enjoy!”
(๐โ๐ ๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ฆ, ๐๐น๐, ๐ท๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ 13๐กโ, 2009)
๐๐ฅ๐๐๐๐๐จ - ๐๐๐ซ๐๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐๐๐ข๐ญ
➡ https://bit.ly/3oylebd
๐๐ ๐๐๐ซ๐ฏ๐๐ฒ - ๐๐๐ซ๐๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐๐๐ข๐ญ
➡ https://bit.ly/3RD7pU6
Post by Olga





Comments
Post a Comment